Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

Tonight I rode a bus in America.

9 months ago, I NEVER would have thought riding a bus in Grand Rapids, Michigan would bring back incredibly vivid memories and feelings.

As I stood at the bus stop in front of Meijer on Alpine waiting for the number 9, that would take us right to the center of Grand Rapids I couldn't help but feel a little nostalgic. Waiting for buses was like my job not too long ago, and I rather disliked it...but my heart strings were still pulled a little bit.
The bus came, and I stepped inside of it, along with the two others that I was with... I held up my wrist to show that I was wearing a wrist band that got me on for 'free' for the duration of Art Prize, and I started walking towards the back of the bus to sit down. Men were sitting everywhere, and my first instinct was to look behind me to see if any older people were following me who would obviously get any open seats and then one of the men would get up and give me theirs, right? Oh, wait... I'm in America. "Just sit down"...I told myself. I thought that this was silent, but it actually came out of my mouth, embarrassingly enough. Then my friend turns and asks where we should sit... "In the back?" He asks... The very back row was empty. Everything inside of me is wondering why he would even suggest such a thing. "Don't you know the very back row is only for men?" This time it's actually only inside of my head, thank goodness. "Let's just sit." I'm actually starting to wonder if this was the most wonderful idea we've ever had. My brain is so confused, I can't even think straight. I sit down next to a lady, probably in her mid 40s and I carefully look straight ahead. My friend Stephanie sits in front of me, and my friend Ben stands up next to me, holding on. My brain is so thankful for at least that normalcy. (Men usually stand and the women sit... if a guy is with you, he usually stands beside you)
Someone pulls the string letting the driver know that they want off, and the speakers that tell everyone to wait and get off when he comes to a complete stop is in English (SHOCKER) and Stephanie is casually looking around at everyone on the bus, while also turning around talking to me. Not exactly proper bus etiquette...is that even a thing?...on the buses that I'm used to!
 I actually can not even handle the bus ride at this point.
And then...we get off, and I'm suddenly positive that I'm in America again. My muscles actually ached from being held so rigidly for the 10 maybe 15 min. that I was on that bus...

So here's to severely culture shocking almost 4 months after coming home..... Honestly the weirdest experience I've probably ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment