Translate

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Me, a Southern Belle?

Usually my posts are little ramblings about my life, what God is teaching me and such...but tonight I'm feeling....Southern. A lot of my northern friends read my blog, as do some southern friends, but I have a feeling my northern friends might enjoy this post more.
See, I've been talking to one of my oldest friends from the South tonight, and it's brought back so many wonderful memories.

Memories of the weather turning warm in March.

Memories of sweet southern accents mixed with lovely sweet tea.

A place where time could stand still. Where the most fun I could possibly have in a day was climbing hay, riding the four-wheeler, chasing the cows...

Where I grew up and eventually started noticing boys...cowboys. Boys that took me driving with the windows down and the country music blaring.

We drank out of mason jars ONLY.

We lived in a beautiful 2 story home with a gorgeous 'barn red' wrap around porch, with white rockers and adorable little glass tables on it.

A wonderful farm, where dogs and kittens were everywhere. Where we were chased by the mean cows and cuddled with the newborn calves.

Where being called a hick wasn't exactly an insult but instead evoked a kind of pride from you, and everyone speaks to strangers, because that's how you make friends.

My home....the place where I truly feel comfortable.

I have wonderful friends in Michigan, don't get me wrong. I love them, and the town I live in.. but sometimes I find myself trying to act more "normal"..as in trying to rid myself of some of the "southern". I did well with losing my accent, that wasn't very hard, and I must say helped me fit in a lot better. But tell me, what does losing my heritage actually do for other than make me feel even worse in the long run? Who cares what people think, whether it's the fact that I'm an adorable "Southern Belle"...or a hick. Because what they DON'T know, is that when that happens..just the tiniest bit of pride comes welling up inside of me, and a southern girl with southern pride, plus the knowledge of how to shoot a gun might just be the most dangerous thing they've ever encountered ;)

So now that you've gone on a little journey to the south with me...hopefully you can just enjoy me becoming a little more in touch with the old me..cowgirl boots and all. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment